Automated CNC system has up to seven axes for complete coverage of critical automotive components
| Large workpieces are positioned in a tilt fixture mounted on a rotary table on a granite base, so it’s able to reach all features of complex parts in the automatic measuring cycles. |
The new JENOPTIK Wavemove automated surface roughness and contour measuring system includes up to seven CNC axes for complete high-accuracy measurement and evaluation of complex shaft or prismatic parts, such as automotive crankshaft, cylinder heads, engine blocks, transmission housings, and more — on the production floor, close to manufacturing processes. Detailed, exportable analyses of the measuring results provide exact statements about the quality of the production process, based on many special parameters from the automotive industry. The automated system eliminates reproducibility concerns and allows the user to track part quality through the entire manufacturing process.
In the ergonomic measuring station, large workpieces are easily positioned in a tilt fixture mounted on a rotary table on a granite base, providing free access to reach all features of complex parts in the automatic measuring cycles. A stable and robust motorized measuring column automatically positions pick-ups. The system automatically verifies the proper orientation of each part prior to measurement routine.
Roughness and contour measurement are easily accomplished through the intelligent arrangement of probing systems for each type of measurement. The drive bar positions the roughness pick-up even in hard-to-reach measuring positions. The contour probe is easy to change and can be operated parallel to the roughness pick-up if necessary.
The Wavemove provides:
• uniform user interface for roughness and contour evaluations;
• calculation of all common profile, roughness, and waviness parameters (more than 90);
• evaluation of geometric characteristics, such as distances, angles, and radii;
• traverse length 120 mm, or 200 mm, for roughness and contour measurement.
Measurement routines are selectable for specific features, as necessary.
The Turbo Wave software for roughness and contour measuring provides an icon-based, user-friendly, uniform interface for complex CNC measurement runs and automatic evaluations. Custom screen and print forms are easy to design, allowing efficient creation of measuring programs and extensive evaluation of measuring results. The software includes:
• interactive control of the measuring station;
• individual measuring programs with automatic measurement runs;
• extensive profile analysis functions for profile and material ratio curves and Fourier analysis;
• more than 90 roughness and waviness parameters according to ISO 4287 and other ISO and national standards (ASME, DIN, JIS, Motif etc.), plus evaluation of workpiece characteristics, including radii, distances, and angles.
Also, the Wavemove system can evaluate ‘twist’ on ground shafts, according to MBN 31007-07. Twist structures at sealing surfaces occur during grinding and impair the sealing function between the shaft and the sealing ring. The most important properties of these surface structures are measured three-dimensionally and the parameters relevant to the tightness determined.
Jenoptik is a brand of Hommel-Etamic, a manufacturer and system provides for high precision, tactile and non-contact (production) metrology.