- Start drawing 3D shapes
- Simplify parts for analysis or manufacturing
SPACECLAIM, a developer of 3D modeling software for engineers, and NOVACAST SYSTEMS AB, a developer of specialty software program for metalcasing operations, have introduced, an optional 3D modeling module for the NovaFlow&Solid CV family of casting development tools.
Whether it involves removing holes, creating new designs, or optimizing existing models, NovaMethod removes a common bottleneck and allows foundry engineers to focus on casting development. By putting users in control of geometry, 3D CAE can drive product development to optimize models before CAD, and validate results post-CAD. The core technology of NovaMethod was developed by SpaceClaim and adapted by NovaCast to suit the specific requirements of casting design and simulation.
“NovaMethod’s 3D direct modeling technology introduces a new way to think about working with 3D models. It lets your focus on your design without the complexity of traditional CAD For example, you can reuse data without planning and remix geometry from nearly any other design,” explained NovaCast Systems CEO Håkan Fransson.
“Engineers can take a design where it needs to go, regardless of how it was built or the CAD system in which it was created,” Fransson continued. “Create new concepts and share them with other engineers before entering the detailed design phase. Get the concepts right and avoid expensive last-minute design changes. SpaceClaim’s 3D modeling software makes it all easy.”
From a blank slate, engineers start drawing 3D shapes, easily and freely. NovaMethod allows users to de-feature and simplify parts for analysis or manufacturing and optimize the design without being constrained by original modeling intent.
“NovaCast has earned the trust of foundry engineers by providing quality tools to meet a vast range of needs. Integrating with NovaFlow&Solid CV puts SpaceClaim’s distinct benefits right where foundry engineers need and want them,” according to Rich Moore, vice president of Business Development at SpaceClaim. “People using NovaMethod for the first time will immediately understand how the module will save them time, and take common hassles like file incompatibilities and bad geometry out of their work flow.”
NovaMethod lets foundry engineers:
- Open CAD models from major systems, including Pro/ENGINEER, CATIA, SolidWorks, Inventor, and NX;
- Repair poor quality geometry created by old CAD systems and surface modelers;
- Optimize CAD models for input into NovaFlow&Solid CV, either in STL or STEP format;
- Remove machined details (holes, rounds, chamfers, etc.) without needing to understand the original CAD models;
- Quickly make geometry modifications;
- Perform extensive geometry fixing to Stitch the model, remove gaps, and check and correct missing surfaces; and
- Check and fix many types of 3D models, including STEP, STL and IGES.
NovaMethod lets casting simulation experts:
- Create internal cores in a very simple yet comprehensive way
- Create Parting line on the casting pattern
- Check Draft angles on the pattern
- Edit or remove Ingates and/or Feeders on created models an that are “dead” like in the STEP format
- Import solids from 3D catalogues of standard feeders, gating systems, filters and user-defined geometries that are available for Drag&Drop import onto the casting design
- Access useful functions from FoundryTech.