- Measure thickness, distance, position, perpendicularity, shape, and orientation
- Advanced transducer transmits/receives high-frequency, unambiguous sound pulse
ALBION DEVICES INC., an engineering firm specializing in precision measurement instrumentation, introduced a series of non-contact ultrasonic gauging and positioning systems. The gauges use air-coupled, pulse-echo acoustic technology, which permits noncontact gauging for many industrial applications. Noncontact ultrasonic dimensional gauging applications include measuring thickness, distance, position, perpendicularity, shape, and orientation.
Accuracy is 0.0005 in. over a dynamic range of 2.5 to 6.0 in., and the greater of plus or minus 0.2% of range or +/- 0.001 in., over a dynamic range of 6.0 to 18.0 in. Accuracy is due to the development of an advanced technology capacitive transducer that transmits and receives a high-frequency unambiguous sound pulse.
In addition, environmental factors that affect the speed of sound in air have been largely eliminated through extensive signal processing. The controller and Windows 7-compatible software provide communications with other devices via several options. On-board software permits the selection of sample rates for rapidly moving targets, high and low limits, relay configuration, echo selection, target filtering, and diagnostics. Other options for gauging include the use of parabolic mirrors for focusing, tilting mirrors for sound directional changes, and shaded apertures for surface detail in cluttered backgrounds.
Incorporating the non-contact gauging technology of Ultrasonic Arrays Inc., Albion Devices is updating that technology for reintroduction, using state-of-the-art hardware and software. As a result Albion is making available:
• The Model UT 200 for noncontact thickness or OD measurement. It includes two ultrasonic sensor heads, a single controller with all boards and hardware to output thickness or OD measurement, and standard Windows 7-compatible DigiSonic control and gauging software.
• The Model UI 210 for noncontact internal measurement. It includes two ultrasonic sensor heads, a single controller with all boards and hardware to output sum of measurement, and standard Windows 7-compatible DigiSonic control and gauging software.
Operating at stable temperatures, both the UT 200 and UI 210 maintain an operating range of 2.5 to 6 inches (0.0635 to 0.150 m); with resolutions of 0.0005 inch (0.0127 mm); and repeatability of +/-0 .0005 inch (+/-0.0127 mm.)
The outputs for both models are RS232, RS 422, USB, Relay, 0-10 volts dc output range 0 to 18 inches (0 to .0572 m)
• The Model UD 100 is for noncontact distance, position, fill level, or movement measurement. It includes a single sensor, a controller with all boards and hardware to output distance to target, and standard Windows 7-compatible DigiSonic control and gauging software.
The UD 100, operating at stable temperature, will coer a range from 2.5 to 18 inches (0.0635 to 0.4572 m), with a resolution of 0 .0005 inch (0.0127 mm) and a repeatability of 0.02% of distance to target. The outputs are RS232, RS 422, USB, Relay, with 0-10 volts dc output for a range of 0 to 18 inches (0 to .0572 m).